From: Jones Beene
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:07 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com<mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Subject: RE: [Vo]:All ICCF-21 Abstracts in one document

From: Jed Rothwell<mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com>
http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ICCFabstracts.pdf

There is a most interesting paper by Biberian on page 10 which begins with this
background info:

“In 2001, Stanley Pons gave me a palladium cathode that had produced a lot of
excess heat. The
electrode was 10cm long and 2mm in diameter. It was pure palladium and was used
in an ICARUS 9
calorimeter. The electrode stayed in my drawer for years, until I found a
laboratory that could do
dynamic SIMS (Secondary Ion Mass Spectroscopy). The equipment was a Cameca 4f
machine that
can detect masses of elements with high sensitivity.”

The curious thing is that active areas of the cathode labeled as “hot spots”
contained silver isotopes and furthermore, the silver must have transmuted from
palladium over the course of the gainful runs since the cathode was pure
palladium before “lots of excess heat” was seen.

Most of the transmuted silver was the isotope 107 by a very large margin. The
ratio between Ag-107/Ag-109 was close to 10, whereas in natural silver this
ratio is 1.06.

This could mean with fairly high certainty that the single isotope of
palladium, 105Pd (which is over 22 percent of natural palladium) absorbed or
fused with deuterons to become 107Ag but without subsequent beta decay.

Therefore if we assume for the moment that 105Pd is the active isotope of cold
fusion (there are other possible conclusions but let’s start with this one)
then several things stand out.

First, this is a high spin isotope. Second it has a nuclear magnetic moment. In
fact, this isotope is the ONLY palladium isotope to have a nuclear magnetic
moment and the only high spin isotope and the Larmor frequency seems to be
similar to D. Thus the excess heat and the fusion could have been a product of
spin coupling without subsequent beta decay (so no x-ray signature or residual
radioactivity would be seen).

This is interesting information which - had it come out in 2001 could have made
a difference in the way the field matured.