Jack Cole <jcol...@gmail.com> wrote:

We've seen errors this big before.

I do not think so. Rossi apparently made errors this big, and much bigger:
1 MW. (I think this was fraud, not error.) But I do not know recall any
professional scientist who has published a paper which was later shown to
have errors on this scale. Not in absolute power, or in the O/I ratio.

If you disagree, which paper do you have in mind? Who made errors this big
before?

> Best to not get too excited until there is a replication.

I agree.

>   Based on history, every time there has been an amazing result like this,
> it has turned out to be either a huge mistake, unreplicable, or fraudulent
> (I don't suspect fraud at all in this case).

I do not think so, as I said. Give some examples. Who made a huge mistake?
What was not replicatable? The only fraudulent results in the history of
the field were Defkalion and Rossi, as far as I know. There may be others
that were fraud, but I thought they were mistakes that could not be
replicated. However, all the results I know of that could not be replicated
were very small. They were marginal. They look like mistakes.

I have never heard of anyone claiming 40 to 250 W that turned out to be a
mistake. Very few claims in cold fusion exceeded 10 or 20 W. As far as I
know, the only reaction of ~20 W that could not be replicated is Dardik's
heat after death:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DardikIprogressin.pdf

The only major large claim, of ~100 W, was Fleischmann and Pons boil-off
experiment. As far as I know, only one group tried to replicate, Lonchampt
and Biberian. They succeeded. Lonchampt was a nuclear engineer, so he
followed instructions, so it worked.

There was a molten salt claim of over 100 W, but no one tried to replicate.

How many times have people failed to replicate Mizuno and/or shown his
> results to be in error in the past?

Never, as far as I know. All of his claims were either replicated, or no
one tried to replicate. Mostly the latter. IH tried to replicate one claim
but they never got started, as far as I know. There were problems with the
equipment. This resembles the situation with the Google researchers in
*Nature* for their Pd-D claims. It was not a replication because they never
reached high loading. It was an attempt that failed for known reasons. (I
cannot judge their Ni claims.)