Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
> Mauro Lacy wrote:
>
>> Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

>>> But you can't -- not just by rotating it.
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Of course you can't do that in three dimensions. That's the whole point
>> of using a fourth. I was drawing an analogy. The bidimensional
>> equivalent will be the following (please excuse my "ascii art").
>> Suppose you have an asymetrical figure, like to one below:
>> original figure:
>>
>> ----------
>> |____    |
>>      |   |
>>      |   |
>>      |   |
>>      |   |
>>      -----
>>

> You're talking about flipping chirality.
>
> You can do that, of course -- for a 2d figure you can do it in 3d, for a
> 3d figure you can do it in 4d.  A right-hand thread screw can be flipped
> to a left-hand thread screw with a rotation through the fourth dimension.
>
> But you can't turn a circle inside out by flipping through the third
> dimension, and you can't turn a sphere inside out by flipping through
> the fourth dimension, as you proposed.  You need to do a major "stretch"
> on the object as well.
>
> To see this really clearly, don't use a spherical shell, as you
> proposed; use a solid sphere (like the Earth, or a golf ball).  What do
> you get if you turn it inside out by some operation in the fourth dimension?

You're right! I erroneously thought that chirality flip in four
dimensions was analogous to turning the inside out (because when you
turn a glove inside out, by example, you obtain its mirror image, i.e.
you can put that reversed glove in your other hand)
So, to summarize: a (semi) rotation through a higher dimension will
produce the mirror image of the object.
I still think that this is not the complete process, i.e. that something
more fundamental is changed, but I have to think about it.