At 01:46 PM 3/4/2011, you wrote:
I wrote:

No common chemical and very few exotic chemicals can produce more energy than gasoline . . .

By volume or by weight, as far as I know.

Gasoline produces ~45 MJ/kg according to most sources.

Wikipedia, which is sometimes good for something, says methane produces 50 MJ/kg. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

I did not include "hydrogen" among common chemicals. As far as I know it is the most energy dense chemical fuel by weight, at 142 MJ/kg. That's why they use it for rocket fuel.

I included compressed hydrogen/oxygen because they are readily obtainable, and the by-product can "easily" be hidden (Jan: vent through the steam outlet Feb: condense and vent through the water outlet.)

In my book, in chapter 1, p. 12, I discussed this issue by comparing a hypothetical cell filled with hydrogen and oxygen to a cold fusion cell. I was assuming that hydrogen and oxygen has more energy by weight than any other chemical fuel. I am ignoring the weight of the container, and problems with compressing the gas, and all other real-world considerations.

Book? I gotta read BOOKS ???    =8-)

- Jed

Nobody WEIGHED anything, so I have to use VOLUME.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density  gives Gasoline 34 MJ/L Diesel 37.3 (with air from outside).

I just noticed that Boron is a bit higher than Beryllium (which I like, because -- theoretically -- it could be self-contained.)

ps : I hoped that this would start a new thread .. but it's ending up in the 1MW