Mark Iverson <zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:

> It should be obvious by now, and Rossi has stated it many times... his
> opinion on how to convince anyone, be they political or scientific or the
> press, is to build and install a decent size plant.

That's right. Rossi has often said this, and I see no reason to doubt he
means it.

CF researchers have been trying the scientific route for 22 years, and
> barely making any headway!

Well, if they could have done something like this, the controversy would
have ended. Only the most obtuse scientist would claim there might be a
problem with the 15 kW test.

> The mainstream has such a jaded view of anything related to CF, that it
> will take a (1MW) sledgehammer to convince them.  Given the history of CF
> and the way the mainstream deals with major breakthroughs, I think his
> sledgehammer should do an adequate job... and, as a backup, he is continuing
> with the scientific testing at the U of B.  No, I think he's thought this
> thru quite well...

I think he does intend to use the 1 MW reactor as a sledgehammer, and he has
thought it through. If he succeeds, no one will be more delighted and
relieved than me. But I fear he may not succeed, for the reasons I outlined
here; i.e., it would take only a couple of 2" pipes to fake this
demonstration, and the skeptics and mass media will dismiss it for that
reason.

I hope I am wrong. Based on the history of cold fusion, I fear that I am
right.

Over the last year I have often told Rossi and his associates that I think a
1 to 10 kW scale demonstration would achieve their goals more effectively,
cheaper and faster, for the reasons I laid out here. They disagree. They
have been polite, but it is clear they are not interested in my opinion. I
do not know if they follow this discussion group or the various blogs, but I
am sure they will not be influenced by them.

In case it turns out I'm right, and Rossi's strategy misfires, I hope that
Brian Ahern or Dennis Cravens can demonstrate an Ni-H system that produces
somewhere between 100 Watts and 1000 W. That would independently establish
the validity of these claims. It might pry open more funding from the
scientific establishment so that other people can make efforts to
independently replicate Rossi and explore this technique. I wish Rossi all
success, and I think he deserves all the money and fame imaginable, but I
hate to see such vitally important technology in the hands of only one
person, who is working on it in obscurity, with far less money and manpower
than the job calls for.

It would be best for everyone if Rossi could get a patent, so that other
scientists could replicate.