Michele Comitini <michele.comit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But are called "Ingegnere" even if the correct term would be "Dottore
> in Ingegneria" so reading Ing. in front of a name does not imply being
> registered
> to the "Ordine degli Ingegneri" unless the document is a public contract.

I think what you are saying is that the "Ing." in front of his name is not
a formal, legal designation. In the U.S., adding "PE" (Professional
Engineer) is a criminal offense if you are not actually a Professional
Engineer. As I said, it is like going around claiming you are an MD
(Medical Doctor).

If you have a degree in engineering, it is perfectly okay to call yourself
"Engineer" but not "PE."

Any fool can call himself a "Programmer" even if he has no degree at all
relating to programming. Me, for example.

As far as I know it is not a criminal offense to add "PhD" to your name
even if you do not have a doctorate. There may be some laws against it, but
they are not enforced. Rossi calls himself "Dr. Rossi" in this document. He
has a fake PhD from a diploma mill in California, according to his own web
page.

On several occasions Rossi said he does not have a PhD, he is only an
engineer.

. . . There is a big dispute in the U.S. at present about whether it is
okay to pretend you are a retired military officer and you have medals for
valor in war. This is the so-called "stolen valor" issue. The Supreme Court
will rule on this. People who do this say they have the right of free
speech to do this. It is a complicated question. In my opinion, they should
be allowed as long as they do not use this to defraud people for money,
free hotel rooms, food or other goods and services. It is a nutty thing to
do, and reprehensible, but people have the right to be nutty.