On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Hope <lookslikeiwasri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's fine, but then Rossi and his believers need to quit complaining or
>> expressing alarm when folks see this misdirection and reasonably interpret
>> it as evidence of a scam.
>

> Misdirection is routinely practiced by most businesses. IBM was famous for
> it back in the 1970s. For example, they would announce an "initiative"
> which they never intended to follow through on, in order to stop a
> competitor. This is mean spirited, and perhaps unfair, but it is not
> unethical, and it certainly not a scam. Unless you hold that most
> corporations are engaged in scams.

IBM's "vaporware" gambit was a scam and the DOJ took IBM to court for it
and also Kodak for similar maneuvers.

I do not think this is "evidence." This is your opinion, or your gut
> feeling of distrust. I do not trust Rossi myself (not to do business with
> him), but I would never glorify this feeling of mine by calling it
> "evidence" of anything. It is intuition. I think "evidence" should mean
> "a body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition
> is true or valid." That is, objectively verifiable facts in the real world,
> such as reports that someone has been scammed (or claims to be), or that
> Rossi has investors who have not performed independent tests of his
> equipment.

Interestingly, Steorn's investors have never made a public statement or
taken the company or its officers to court and they are most certainly and
obviously a scam.  Perhaps they're embarrassed.  Lack of investor
complaints is not necessarily counter evidence for a scam, especially
fairly early in its development.