On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

> No, not at all. Where did you get that idea? Heat is not missing, except
> when we look at what would be required to generate the observed levels of
> helium following the W-L pathways. The third missing observable is the
> levels of transmuted elements that would be present as intermediate
> products, or as end products if the helium is produced by alpha emission.
>
> (Which then leaves another problem, hot alphas, which would create other
> observable effects.)

I'm reminded of the cloud chamber anecdote -- I'm hoping some more details
will turn up in this connection.

> It's crucial. I know of only one *partial* theory that actually makes
> quantitative predictions, beyond Preparata's expectation of helium, and
> it's not ready for publication.

I definitely appreciate many of the points you raise.  But I think you risk
putting the cart before the horse, here.  Some of the most important
advances in physics were made through a conceptual leap of some kind, and
only later were the quantitative implications worked out.  It's obviously
important to have good measurements to work with.  But what is needed of a
theory is something -- anything -- that can be tested.  It seems like too
strong a statement to say that quantitative predictions are crucial to a
theory, at least in the early stages.

I should add that while my questions were raised in the context of a thread
about Widom and Larsen's theory, I don't have the faintest opinion
concerning the complex formulae that they include in their papers, to the
extent that I'm in a position to judge these things.  I appreciate their
contribution they've made in drawing attention to the possibility of
neutron flux, even if the outlines of what they propose is unlikely or even
preposterous.  I'm a hobbyist, trying to understand LENR in context of the
evidence on the transmutations of heavy elements, and I have not seen any
good explanation for this apart from neutron flux or contamination.

There are some problems associated with the identification of transmutation
> products, and until there is adequate confirmation of results like those of
> Iwamura, it's dangerous to base much on them. Iwamura's results are
> certainly interesting and worthy of replication, and there have been
> replication attempts, some of which appear to have failed (or, in a recent
> case, just published in the CMNS journal, there was an apparent
> transmutation product that was identified as being, instead, a molecular
> ion with similar weight). It's a complicated story that I'm not going to
> research and write about here.

Perhaps -- but I think we have to err on the side of inclusivity of
evidence or, as Guenter alluded to, risk selecting away important phenomena
that any theory will need to explain.  From a purely formal perspective, it
is entirely possible that there is not one but several different reactions
going on under the category of LENR.  But this is certainly not a starting
point I will depart from.

The present mode of academic research, of excluding from consideration
anything that has not been entered into the official record, is only
suitable for legal courts and the obtaining of tenure.  It's not the most
efficient way of getting at the truth by any means, and as I become more
and more familiar with academic research, I'm grateful not to feel bound by
it.

Eric