>From Jed:

> Let us be honest and admit frankly that if cold fusion

> succeeds, it will lead to creative destruction on a far

> larger scale. It will destroy the entire alternative energy

> sector -- solar and wind. Following that, it will destroy

> the conventional energy sector: oil, coal and nuclear. This

> will make trillions of dollars of infrastructure and

> investments useless, practically overnight. This will put

> millions of people out of work. That's what I am hoping for.

> That's the best outcome. That is the down-side to cold

> fusion. It is dreadful, but the up-side has more benefits

> than the down-side has problems. We have to be cold and

> calculating. We also have to take steps to alleviate the

> human misery this will cause, as best we can. It is like

> deciding to invade Normandy in 1944, knowing full well that

> thousands will die and it will cause heartbreak that never

> heals.

Cold fusion, whatever the phenomenon will eventually be called, would appear
to be a technologically disruptive event of enormous proportions. It would
be a major event for the future of human civilization. I believe this has
been a premise you have been predicting and have written about for quite a
long time. Based on your desire to read a lot of fascinating history
pertaining to the follies mankind has been responsible for instigating
against Nature and against its own best self-interests, I'm sure you have
done a lot of thinking and research on the matter of how disruptive Cold
Fusion could possibly be.

Nevertheless, I'm going to disagree just a tad here and suggest Cold Fusion
may not be as disruptive as you fear. We may be able to string it out just a
tad. Yes, I most certainly agree that the technology will be disruptive -
how could it not! ... However, based on how slow Rossi, DGT, and other
unnamed competitors seem to be. trying to get their own dog-and-pony show on
the road, I'm left with the suspicion that CF technology at present
continues to be wrought with so complexity and ignorance that it's going to
take a lot more time than most within the Collective would think is an
appropriate amount of time. I predict some on this list, particularly
enthusiastic newcomers, are going to simply lose patience and give up,
claiming it's all just  a bunch of hogwash.

Granted I could be wrong. I've often been wrong in the past. However, based
on how slow Rossi & co, DGT, and others seem to be puttering along, just
trying to get out of the starting gate...

I remain hopeful that progress is being made. I want to be clear on that
point. But we must learn patience. It's possible the shift towards a CF
based energy technology may not end up happening that fast and/or
disruptively.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com