On 2012-07-29 22:51, Jed Rothwell wrote:

It will not be "the beginning of the end" in the cold fusion battle
until you start to see similar headlines about major scientists
endorsing cold fusion, especially scientists funded by people whose
interests will be hurt if cold fusion succeeds.

To be honest, I personally see more things in common between AGW (with emphasis on the 'A') skepticism and LENR research than you're implying. Both are not supported by the scientific consensus, for example.

[...]
Regarding global warming, I have no doubt it is real. To those who have
doubts, rational or not, here is what I say: Every step that is proposed
to deal with this problem is beneficial in its own right.

Yes, global warming per se is real, and I think few doubt that by now (by the way, there are chances we might reach a record ice minimum this year). However, whether that is natural or man-made, caused in part or totally by human CO2 emissions or other factors instead, or its actual magnitude, that's a different matter. Whether that is really a problem, an even different one too.

Every step
would be progress in technology, and would ultimately lower the cost of
energy.

Unfortunately, I fail to see how every measure or technology proposed so far is aimed to ultimately lower the cost of energy. Actually, (leaving aside every political / governmental implication) I am getting the opposite impression: everything seems directed toward decreasing global emissions by making energy more scarce and expensive, or in other words decreasing wealth in the western world, often with the undertones of this being some sort of compensation for the environmental pollution caused so far by the West and for the poor being poor in underdeveloped countries.

So what difference does not make if global warming is not real,
or if it isn't caused by human activity? It is in our best interests to
act as if it is.

Are you suggesting that even if current theories about AGW were completely wrong, we should adhere to them for greater good? I couldn't disagree more with this.

By the way, leaving the scientific climate debate aside, statistically speaking, even if we're currently warming, or even if global temperatures will keep increasing for some more time, we're actually overdue for a new ice age. I'm serious. This is the Vostok ice core temperature record, popular in both sides of the climate change debate:

http://i.imgur.com/leXtv.png

The last few ice ages rather quickly followed short periods of warm climate called interglacial periods. What exactly causes ice ages is still pretty much unknown. Have a look at where we are currently.

I can't help but wonder what will happen when, after we will have done everything possible no matter the cost to mitigate the possible consequences or prepared for the hypothetical "runaway global warming event" which never happened so far in the geological record, the next inevitable ice age will occur. I think *that* will be a global disaster and it's likely to happen at some point.

[...]
Let us be honest and admit frankly that if cold fusion succeeds, it will
lead to creative destruction on a far larger scale. It will destroy the
entire alternative energy sector -- solar and wind.

The renewable energy sector would be completely obliterated, and as I've written several times in the past I expect that much resistance will come from it if cold fusion will ever prove to be commercial viable.

Following that, it
will destroy the conventional energy sector: oil, coal and nuclear. This
will make trillions of dollars of infrastructure and investments
useless, practically overnight.

The oil industry will not perish as quickly as you think in my opinion. Cheap, unlimited energy means that there will be an increasing demand for oil-derived products where wealth, life quality will increase. This can be expected to happen almost everywhere in the world (contrarily to the current efforts aimed to "equalize" global wealth) once LENR goes commercial. Over time this would counterbalance the losses in the fuel sector. However this is assuming that plastic won't be replaced by aluminum, the most abundant metal in the Earth crust which is sort of expensive to work with due to the energy required to extract and process it. Then only a fraction of the current market will remain, but still oil companies won't likely disappear for a long time.

Nuclear fission energy is already doomed, both because it is getting more and more expensive, mainly for safety reasons, and because of strong social pressure.

Coal perhaps... might still end up being useful during the next ice age to avoid CO2 depletion and decreasing albedo, who knows :)

Cheers,
S.A.

By the way Jed: your posts are very long and replies take much time to write; please don't get offended if I cut more or less large portions of them when I reply for the sake of discuss things quicker.