From: OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <orionwo...@charter.net>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Jul 29, 2012 7:24 pm
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Koch founded climate skeptic changes sides

>From Jed:

> Let us be honest and admit frankly that if cold fusion
> succeeds, it will lead to creative destruction on a far
> larger scale. It will destroy the entire alternative energy
> sector -- solar and wind. Following that, it will destroy
> the conventional energy sector: oil, coal and nuclear. This
> will make trillions of dollars of infrastructure and
> investments useless, practically overnight. This will put
> millions of people out of work. That's what I am hoping for.
> That's the best outcome. That is the down-side to cold
> fusion. It is dreadful, but the up-side has more benefits
> than the down-side has problems. We have to be cold and
> calculating. We also have to take steps to alleviate the
> human misery this will cause, as best we can. It is like
> deciding to invade Normandy in 1944, knowing full well that
> thousands will die and it will cause heartbreak that never
> heals.

Cold fusion, whatever the phenomenon will eventually be called, would appear to
be a technologically disruptive event of enormous proportions. It would be a
major event for the future of human civilization. I believe this has been a
premise you have been predicting and have written about for quite a long time.
Based on your desire to read a lot of fascinating history pertaining to the
follies mankind has been responsible for instigating against Nature and against
its own best self-interests, I'm sure you have done a lot of thinking and
research on the matter of how disruptive Cold Fusion could possibly be.

Nevertheless, I'm going to disagree just a tad here and suggest Cold Fusion may
not be as disruptive as you fear. We may be able to string it out just a tad.
Yes, I most certainly agree that the technology will be disruptive - how could
it not! ... However, based on how slow Rossi, DGT, and other unnamed
competitors seem to be… trying to get their own dog-and-pony show on the road,
I'm left with the suspicion that CF technology at present continues to be
wrought with so complexity and ignorance that it's going to take a lot more
time than most within the Collective would think is an appropriate amount of
time. I predict some on this list, particularly enthusiastic newcomers, are
going to simply lose patience and give up, claiming it's all just  a bunch of
hogwash.

Granted I could be wrong. I've often been wrong in the past. However, based on
how slow Rossi & co, DGT, and others seem to be puttering along, just trying to
get out of the starting gate...

I remain hopeful that progress is being made. I want to be clear on that point.
But we must learn patience. It's possible the shift towards a CF based energy
technology may not end up happening that fast and/or disruptively.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks