For the third time: Check out Krytron technology!!!  It used a small amount
of radioactive Nickel to speed the rise time of the discharge.  Papp almost
certainly used Radium for the same purpose.

Quoting "Spark Gap and Triggered Gap
Tubes<http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/sparkgaps.html>
":

The krytron is a high speed, high current gas filled tube. This tube can
switch thousands of amps at thousands of volts. It is similar to a
thyratron except that it is a 4 terminal device. The fourth terminal is a
"keep alive" electrode that maintains a glow discharge in the tube at all
times. This make the tube much faster and the timing more uniform. There is
also a small amount of radioactive Nickel in the tube. The ionization helps
further stabilize the propagation delay.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I think James could be correct that the choice of noble gases is NOT a
stage
> prop.
>
> However, and once again - keep in mind that Papp used radium as his prime
> energy source, and his patent makes this clear... the noble gases he used
> could have been important but ancillary in a surprising way.
>
> Papp's original IP is entitled: "Method & Means of Converting Atomic
Energy