OK, I guess that I am modifying my beliefs as we consider the implications of
this system.  I think you are correct in the assumption that the mass of the
ship does not reach infinity at the horizon.  If we assume that no energy is
created out of thin air then the mass of the ship must increase significantly
as it reaches the boundary.  This must be true since the velocity of the ship
becomes zero at that point and all of the gravitational energy due to the
initial location of the ship at the beginning point of its journey must be
converted into mass.  This could be calculated, and it definitely is not
infinity but is substantially greater than when at rest in our vicinity.

Again, you need to think about each observer and what they perceive.  We need
to have our laws of physics to be in effect during our observations and the
other guys need the same.  So far, the only way that this seems likely is for
time dilation to work overtime.  I suspect that the red shift is a stand in for
time dilation on board the ship, but I do not recall seeing that proven.  If it
is true, then we have an easy technique to employ.

I now tend to think that the space guy can impact with the black hole, but that
it will take forever for this to happen from our perspective.  If he had a jar
full of muons, they would never decay as far as we could tell while he is near
that boundary.  Too bad for him, but the muons would not be able to save him
from extinction in a very short time period.  Then again, he might live for
essentially ever from our point of view which is an extension to his normal
life span in our environment.  My father used to tell us kids that time passes
faster and faster as you get older.  Now I understand what he meant.

The curvature of space might somehow enter into this discussion but I am not
sure how to think of its effect.  I am confident that time dilation is a
factor, but perhaps the distances are modified as well.  That is an area to
consider.

You know what I think of sources that say that things are meaningless don't
you?  That translates into I do not know and please do not ask me again.

It is late and my mind is becoming mush.

Dave