At 12:58 AM 12/27/2012, David Roberson wrote:
TIf a photon left the surface of the black hole and headed outward in a vector along the radius what would happen to it? Could the energy rapidly be drained as it headed outward until there is nothing left? What would happen to the energy once things settled down? I assume that it would still be in existence within some region. What are your thoughts?

I just want to make the issue clear here. From what is being said in various places, the event horizon is a place where gravity is so intense that no light path can increase the distance to the singularity center of mass. The photon does not "head out" at all. Period.

Some of the sources note that the "escape velocity" description is inaccurate, and it's clear that if we were dealing with escape velocity, that's a concept that allows a mass to increase in height, it merely falls back eventually after the initial velocity, kinetic energy, is converted to potential energy. Most sources note that the escape velocity explanation is inferior, and they point to the light path explanation.

I'm finding it very obvious that I don't understand relativistic gravity, and I'm not finding it easy to discover a clear explanation.