On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM, David Roberson <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>  The cone shape does strongly suggest that a particle type of ignition is
> occurring which propagates along the main momentum direction.   I find it
> interesting that there also appears to be a coordination among the trigger
> and the responding sites so that the effect proceeds in a well defined
> direction again somewhat like a laser.
>

I'm not sure how explosives shielded by tamper work, but the crater
pictures look a little like that to me.  It looks like there is a small
volume that turns to liquid and then possibly gas at a rate faster than the
surrounding material, creating an expanding volume.  The craters we see
point outward from the surface of the substrate, and I would expect the
surface side of the molten volume to exert less pressure on the volume than
the opposing side.  This in turn leads an eruption away from the inner wall
and towards the surface.  In this model, the momenta of the original
sources of heat do not play a part.

Eric

Reply via email to