Hi,
[snip]
>However, might the hbar arise because you overlooked the motion of the
>proton in conserving angular momentum? The electron is not orbiting a
>fixed point.
[snip]
Sorry Harry, I don't think so. In fact probably the reverse. The h_bar arises
because that's the angular momentum of a photon. Natural constant. Consequence
of the makeup of the fabric of space-time (IMO).
Any "jiggling" that occurs based on the motion of the nucleus might however help
in making "forbidden" transitions somewhat possible.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk