If a bunch of low energy photons  is equivalent to the energy of 1 high
energy gamma photon, why can't a particular nuclear reaction sometimes
produce a mountain of infrared photons instead one gamma photon? According
to conservation of energy this is possible, so why is it considered
impossible?

harry