*

MIT Prof. Peter L. Hagelstein stated in an interview as follows:
*

So there are no significant amount of neutrons, there's no fast electrons,
there's no gamma rays. There's nothing you might expect if it were a more
normal nuclear reaction process. The basic statement here is that — if it's
real and if it's nuclear... the argument for it being nuclear is that
there's 4He (helium-4) observed in experiments, roughly one 4He for every
24 MeV of energy that's created. So what you need in the way of a
theoretical model, basically a new kind of mechanism that doesn't work like
the old Rutherford reaction picture that nuclear physics is based on. So
that's the basic problem that I've been working on for a great many years.

The big problem is one that has to do with the quantum mechanics issue. The
nuclear energy comes in a big energy quantum, and if it didn't get broken
up, then the big energy quantum would get expressed as energetic particles,
as normally happens in nuclear reactions. So the approach we've taken is
that we've said "the only conceivable route for making sense of these
observations at all, is that the big energy quanta have to get sliced and
diced up into a very very large number if much smaller energy quanta." The
much larger number is on the order of several hundred million. In NMR
physics and optical physics, people are familiar with breaking up a large
quantum into perhaps 30 smaller pieces, you could argue that there are some
experiments where you could argue that maybe that numbers as high as 100 or
so. It's unprecedented that you could take an MeV quantum and chop it up
into bite sized pieces that are 10s of meV.