I agree with your approach Ed.  I just wanted to point out that we must not put
on blinders if we make measurements that suggest that some other reaction is
taking place than the suspected one.  It is prudent to begin with the most
likely concepts to explore and to keep our eyes wide open for results that do
not quite match our expectations.

It would not come as a big surprise if eventually a few different processes are
identified.   Time and experimentation will settle the issue and it is
premature to declare victory.

For example, if you go back to the time before P&F there was no possible way
for cold fusion to occur according to what was known and the doors need to
remain open to new discoveries that might come from unexpected locals.  If the
magnetic field reported by DGT turns out to be real, then a whole new series of
paths become possible.  I have been considering the application of positive
feedback involving the interaction of a locally powerful magnetic field and
some form of nuclear fusion process that couple into each other.  A large scale
version of this phenomena would not have been possible to observe before Rossi
or DGT had systems with adequate power.  The way nickel looses it gross
magnetic characteristic once the temperature reaches a threshold might allow
the underlying process to initiate.

Dave