On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

I believe it is fair to say that in quantum mechanics probabilities
> actually exist in the physical sense (assuming the theories are correct).

This is the predominant interpretation of quantum mechanics, but one that
is not universally accepted, even by mainstream physicists today [1].
 Einstein had issues with it, and David Bohm offered up an alternative
interpretation.

Physicists *love* to get people to assent to the existence of overwhelming
support for a pet idea (e.g., the Copenhagen interpretation).  I'm guessing
it makes their job of pushing a specific agenda easier.  In reality, the
evidentiary record is often inconclusive and does not fully constrain the
different possibilities.  The tactic at that point is to subtly or overtly
discredit the people with the now-heterodox ideas, in this case Einstein
and Bohm and others.  Later in life both were thanked by the establishment
for their contributions and then snickered at.

Eric

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation