Thanks, Ronni and Ray.  The answer to Ray's question about disk space is that
almost half of the disk is free.  And thanks very much, Frank, for getting my
letter to the right place.  Sometimes the iPad can send mail, so I'm hoping
this is one of those times....

On 20/06/2011, at 9:32, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> Have you tried restarting your Modem / Router?
> Then see if you can connect to the Internet
Did that. The Mac Pro can't send or receive mail or connect to the Internet,
and it cannot connect with the router (the iPad can connect).  I have quit and
restarted everything many times.
> Is Mail asking for your “Login” Password, or the Mail Account’s Password?

No.

> If it is asking for your “Login” Password:
> Once you can connect to the Internet try this:
>
> 1. Open Keychain Access (within the Utilities folder inside the Applications
> folder).
>
> 2. Choose Keychain First Aid from the Keychain Access menu.
> And in the resulting window enter your administratorʼs password, enable the
> Verify option, and click Start.
> With luck, some red entries will appear in the window, indicating that
> thereʼs a problem with your keychain.
>
> 3. Enable the Repair option and click Start.
> With the same measure of luck, those keychain problems will be repaired and
> Mail will no longer ask you for a password.
>
> If Mail is asking for the Mail Account’s Password:
>
> 1. Quit Mail Application
>
> 2. Open Keychain Access in Menu Bar at the top right
>  (if it's not showing on the top Menu of the desktop) is in Applications >
> Utilities > Keychain Access.app
>
> 3. Delete the Keychain entry for your Mail Account. To delete this entry:
>
> A)Under Keychains (left column) select ‘Login’
>     Under Category   (left column) select ‘Passwords’
>     Scroll down to  ‘mail.xxxxx.com’ (what ever your Mail Account is) then
> ‘select it’
>
> B) With ‘mail.xxxxx.com’ selected (highlighted)
> Press ‘Delete’ on your keyboard
>
> C) Then in the resulting window “Are you sure you want to delete
> “‘mail.xxxxx.com” from the login keychain?”
> Click ‘Delete’
>
> 4. Quit Keychain Access
> Keychain Access > Quit Keychain Access
>
> 5. Then Open Mail and it will ask for your Password.
> enter your correct password  and make sure you have selected (ticked)
> “Remember this password in my Keychain”
>
> You should now be able to download your email, Keychain access will do the
> email password in the “background”.
> You should not receive that message again.
> ------
> If it continues to, you could try deleting and recreating the account.
> 1. Before you do that, select the account in Mailʼs Mailboxes list, hold down
> the Control key, and click on the accountʼs Inbox.
>
> 2. Choose Archive Mailbox from the menu that appears and choose a place to
> save your archive when prompted.
> Doing this ensures that the messages for the account arenʼt completely
> vaporized when you delete the account.
> Do the same for the accountʼs Sent messages & any other Mailboxes you might
> have.
>
> 3. Go to Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts, select the troublesome account in
> the Accounts list, and click the Minus (–) button to delete the account.
>
> 4. Click the Plus (+) button and recreate the account.

Keychain seems to be working properly again - I didn't do anything to it.

I archived the Mailboxes then deleted and recreated the accounts. (first I rang
up iiNet again and confirmed the details of the mail accounts).  Still no
success.  IiNet confirmed that our system was online.  The inescapable
conclusion, I think, is that something in the Mac Pro is at fault.  Mail is
definitely behaving strangely - I have had to force quit it several times.

> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> 17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
> 2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD
>
> OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

Are there any preferences that might be useful to delete?  Anything I might
restore from backup?  Any more ideas? (Hope, hope).

Pat