On 3/21/09, Dennis Schridde <devuran...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 21. März 2009 05:22:28 schrieb bugs buggy:
>
> > On 3/18/09, Per Inge Mathisen <per.mathi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >  So in order to get good support for user modifications, we should
>  > >  remove support for mods.
>  >
>  > Not sure 'remove' is the correct word, I tend to think we should make
>  > it so future mods follow the rules, and hopefully good things can come
>  > out of this, but I do think that we should get rid of the auto-load
>  > directory ASAP, and have people use the command line,  for now, to add
>  > mods.  At least then, when it crashes, we can tell what they were
>  > running via the crash dump, and the command line it dumps out in the
>  > dump file.
>
> You usually can see what mod they were using by looking at the searchpath
>  (which is only dumped to stdout for --debug=something), so we should include
>  that in the dumps.
>  In case we cannot deliver that data in the crashdumps, maybe we want to set
>  some "TAINTED" variable when a mod is loaded, so we know we are not dealing
>  with an unmodified game.

That sort of works, except in the case where you have lots of mods in
the same search path, then we have no way of knowing which of those
mods it is pulling the data from.   We just know what area it is

Version strings, or mod type identifiers (AI=50, total=255, stats =
25, partial = 100, gfx = 75), or something like that would need to be
enforced.

>  And how mods were dealt with in the GameSpy era:
>  I think everyone had to have the exact same mod (not development version, not
>  unpacked, etc), so that WZ could compare the checksums.
>  Since that is already broken by linebreaks, I would still propose a simple
>  versioning scheme. (One number, if number does not match, refuse to play.)

I know it did a checksum for the program, but it don't look like they
did any checksum for the .wdg files?