Am Samstag, 21. März 2009 05:22:28 schrieb bugs buggy:
> On 3/18/09, Per Inge Mathisen <per.mathi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  So in order to get good support for user modifications, we should
> >  remove support for mods.
>
> Not sure 'remove' is the correct word, I tend to think we should make
> it so future mods follow the rules, and hopefully good things can come
> out of this, but I do think that we should get rid of the auto-load
> directory ASAP, and have people use the command line,  for now, to add
> mods.  At least then, when it crashes, we can tell what they were
> running via the crash dump, and the command line it dumps out in the
> dump file.
You usually can see what mod they were using by looking at the searchpath
(which is only dumped to stdout for --debug=something), so we should include
that in the dumps.
In case we cannot deliver that data in the crashdumps, maybe we want to set
some "TAINTED" variable when a mod is loaded, so we know we are not dealing
with an unmodified game.

And how mods were dealt with in the GameSpy era:
I think everyone had to have the exact same mod (not development version, not
unpacked, etc), so that WZ could compare the checksums.
Since that is already broken by linebreaks, I would still propose a simple
versioning scheme. (One number, if number does not match, refuse to play.)

--DevU