I can put it more succinctly than Chuck by saying that Chuck seems to me to
have this right, front-to-back.

Three comments:

1. There was a time when WebObjects fit Apple's business model as did, e.g.,
the Xserve product. That model changed, a lot, many years ago now.
2. I don't think the current die was cast 5 years ago, I think it was probably
cast 10 or more years ago.
3. My reason for yielding to temptation: the best chance for WebObjects to
succeed, in my opinion, would have been if it had been spun off from Apple back
when customers were willing to put money down for server technology. If one had
built a strong company around the technology and then moved the company forward
as a solutions provider leveraging the technology, it is plausible that it
might have a heartbeat and own a portion of the world today.

Have those proposing to resurrect WebObjects at Apple contemplated what
percentage of the current employees, including management, even worked for the
company when WebObjects last generated revenue/profit for Apple? Off the cuff,
I think their revenue has grown 20-40 fold since that time.

        Tom