On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 6:36:25 AM UTC-4, Liz wrote:
> Just trying the upgrade through this system. I have got to diff the
> files and find the essential parts of the weewx.conf that I have to
> change, and those I have to retain.
> I can do that, but for a lot of our users this is a big degree of
> difficulty.
> I'd suggest that the post-install script looks at essentials which need
> changing in conf files and does those.

could you provide more detail about the process you went through so i can
duplicate the behavior?

there is already logic in the pre/post scripts that *should* upgrade the
weewx.conf file when you do a .deb upgrade (using dpkg or apt).  when it
encounters changes to weewx.conf, it *should* do the standard debian
prompts about changed files.