On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 12:58:14 AM UTC-4, Liz wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 04:51:37 -0700 (PDT)
> mwall wrote:
> > liz,
> >
> > could you provide more detail about the process you went through so i
> > can duplicate the behavior?
> Weewx 3.5.0 installed by deb file upgrade
> Weewx 3.6.0 not touched
> Weewx 3.6.1 installed by apt-get
> In the post-install script I get the standard "the conf file has been
> changed by you, or a script.... "
> then the choices Y or I (accept new conf file)
>                 N         (default, keep own conf file)
>                 D        (open a diff)
>                 Z        (open a shell)
> I open the diff
> the changes proposed are to revert to the stock standard weewx.conf
> that is, to change my location, my co-ordinates, and anything else I've
> altered along the way.
> I make a careful diff of the appropriate changes and proceed (with the
> Z option)
> On restart, instead of a vantage station I have a ws23xx. I did once,
> so this may have been picked up by a process looking somewhere
> forgotten.
> dpkg-reconfigure weewx allowed me to change that.

you got the expected behavior.  unfortunately the expected behavior is
user-friendly in a unix way ("unix is user friendly, it is just picky about
who its friends are").

if you choose Y then you get your old config, updated by the version of
weewx that you are installing.  unless there is a bug in the update
process, everything would just work.

if you choose N, then you get your old config, unchanged.  in some upgrades
this will work, but in many it would fail (see the upgrade guide for

you chose D, the most complicated choice.  in that one you see the
difference between what you have and what weewx would do.  this is a good
choice if you do not trust the installer, or you want to know exactly what
weewx will be doing to your config.  if you have a good diff editor then
you can even cherry pick the changes.  or you can just say "use all of the
suggested changes" after you have reviewed them.

however, it sounds like there is another issue here.

the dpkg and apt plumbing use debconf.  when you first install weewx,
debconf remembers the parameters you enter, such as lat/lon/alt and station
type.  you started by telling debconf you have a ws23xx.  if you then
modify weewx.conf, say by changing to vantage, debconf does not know about
that.  so when you run something that uses debconf again, debconf will try
to use the settings it was given, in this case ws23xx.

that is why running dpkg-reconfigure fixes it - that tells debconf the new