I don't think you would need to release a game with similar mechanics under
the GPL. As far as I know, we have no specific copyright on gameplay
elements, especially if they were implemented completely in a completely
different fashion. I'm not sure, however.

That said, I see no reason to switch away from the GPL for our code as
well. Music and art have been problematic, which is why I definitely
support switching license for those assets. It would also give UMC authors
access to a wider range of resources. Changing our code as well would
likely cause additional complications on top of the ones that have already
been brought up.