I'm not entirely sure what you meant by having the logger set to
debug...but I'll assume that you meant I was missing this from
web.xml?...

                <init-param>
                  <param-name>configuration</param-name>
                  <param-value>DEPLOYMENT</param-value>
                </init-param>

I added it, rebuilt, redeployed, same exception when using a SFSB.