Alright, I stuck a log4j.properties into my src folder, rebuilt,
redeployed - still get the same exception...here's my properties file
(copied from wicket-examples):

log4j.debug=false

log4j.rootLogger=INFO
log4j.logger.org=INFO
log4j.logger.com=INFO
log4j.logger.net=INFO
log4j.logger.nl=INFO

log4j.logger.wicket=INFO

log4j.logger.wicket.protocol.http.HttpSessionStore=INFO
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.cluster=INFO

log4j.logger.wicket.version=INFO
log4j.logger.wicket.RequestCycle=INFO

logger.wicket.protocol.http=INFO

log4j.appender.Stdout=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.Stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.Stdout.layout.conversionPattern=%-5p - %-26.26c{1} - %m\n

What am I doing wrong?