> It died after eating 100MB of memory and serving 600-800 requests*100
> threads.

That is probably because - like said elsewhere in this thread - a new
session was started for every request.

> The problem is also that the CPU was on 100%.

Hmm, that's interesting. We (or rather Johan and Jonathan) really
worked hard at making Wicket as efficient as possible. Even with the
whole object tree creation etc it should still perform very well. If
you find certain hotspots, please share.

> This version 2.0 sounds very nice, is it usable yet?

We're also planning on backporting those features from 2.0 to our
upcomming 1.3 release. All 1.2.x release are meant to be binary
compatible. 1.3. will have a couple of API breaks that will make new
functionality possible. When we release 1.3. it will probably be
immediately usable for production as it mainly consists of back ports.

You can use 2.0 - in fact we think 2.0 has a few things that makes it
a lot better than 1.x, but at this time we don't guarantee API
stability yet. But we plan on stabilize 2.0 in about 2 months, also
because of the fact that we are writing Wicket In Action for that
version.

> How can I set a page to be stateless in 1.2.1 ? Is there some attribute to
> do this or does it just mean that you use detachable models?

Stateless means the page isn't even stored in the session. We started
out implementing that automatically for pages that don't have any call
backs to themselves (Links, Forms, etc). So for 1.2, if you implement
all your functionality using bookmarkable pages and passing 'state'
using RequestParameters objects, you'll have hardly any session usage.
I say hardly here, because 1.2 still creates a session for each
client. Deferred session creation was implemented for 2.0 and is on
the list to be backported for 1.3. With this, you can write Wicket
applications that do not even create a session for a client ever.

Stateless pages for Wicket 2.0 is currently under heavy development.
>From an end-user's point of view, it will support the same use case I
mentioned above, and  in addition to that, you can even use forms and
links with stateless pages in 2.0.

I lost track myself of the status of the whole stateless business in
2.0, so I started a WIKI page here:
http://www.wicket-wiki.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Stateless_pages and I
hope someone else (specifically Johan and Matej) can finish that page.

There are several other ways to customize session usage too, btw. Most
notably tweaking the number of history items that are stored in the
session (IPageSettings#setMaxPageVersions), using a custom
ISessionStore (the default in 1.2 just stores everything in the
HttpSession object, but any other scheme is possible, including what
will probably the default in 2.0: a first level that stores pages in
the http session and a second level (for back button support) that
stores on disk).

Hope this helps.