Hey,

I have to agree with Gavin: the book is indeed a bit rough.
For example, the auther takes loads of time to elaborate certain
'features' while others are being handled as if he expects the audience
to know what he is talking about.
The examples are imo completely useless in real life since they
sometimes violate DRY and are all a little too much meant as an example.
This is another weak point: the auther prints pages of source that you
go through and finally understand (since his explanations are sometimes
not really to the point) just to find a sentence at the end going:
"Well, this is not really nice, why don't we do this instead!". And
there come another couple of pages of source.
The information you get from the book also does not help you to develop
nice applications: I really had to get used to the new way of writing
web apps with wicket. If you are an experienced J2EE developer you need
the information presented in a way that does not tell you how to solve a
certain problem (THAT I can always find on the internet) but how do
DESIGN and COMPOSE your application.
It feels like the author DOES have a profound knowledge of wicket. He
just does not really know how to pass it on to the audience and how much
background he can expect from the readers.

That said I must admit that it is a decent introductory book, especially
since there is nothing like it anywhere on the web. Many of the
questions that come up here are actually being answered in the book.
Don't get confused by the title, though: it is definitely not 'Pro'
Wicket!

//Che

P.S.: There are quite a lot of typos and inconsistencies in the beta
version I read. I guess that has changed or will change soon...