the point i was trying to make is that the progression itself can be an important part of the learning - its the journey not the destination stuff.

compare the code you write now to the code you wrote two years ago. i bet the one you write now is a lot more efficient and much cleaner. now imagine yourself two years ago looking at the code you write today. i bet you wouldnt just go "oh damn thats the way i should do it from now on" and instead go "umm...what the hell is this and how does it work"

a more concrete example. show a newbie java programmer code full of anonymous classes. chances are they are not going to understand it even though it can be the best approach to the problem.

the point that you make about it being unexpected is also valid. it mightve been better if karthik gave you a heads up that there are better ways of doing this later on.

-Igor