On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 07:23 -0800, Steve Foerster wrote:

> For what it's worth, the original vision for UPE was that it would be
> just a fun thing that wasn't constrained by frameworks.  Is there
> really no room for the unofficial in WikiEducator?  Does everything
> have to be part of The Plan?

Hi Steve -- that's a good point. Speaking personally, I have no
preference either way.

It's important for us to have fun in what we are doing and while we're
doing it. Very often this form of recognition carries more value in open
communities.

At the same time I can see the value of mechanisms and community
processes which promote quality in our work.

Perhaps we need both?  Something less informal and more fun (like a
Barnstar -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars )  and
something more formal.