Subject: [WikiEducator] Re: Featured user, UPE and QA Framework
From: wmackint...@col.org
To: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:37:01 +1300

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 07:23 -0800, Steve Foerster wrote:

For what it's worth, the original vision for UPE was that it would be
just a fun thing that wasn't constrained by frameworks.  Is there
really no room for the unofficial in WikiEducator?  Does everything
have to be part of The Plan?

Hi Steve -- that's a good point. Speaking personally, I have no preference
either way.

It's important for us to have fun in what we are doing and while we're doing
it. Very often this form of recognition carries more value in open communities.

At the same time I can see the value of mechanisms and community processes
which promote quality in our work.

Perhaps we need both?  Something less informal and more fun (like a Barnstar --
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars )  and something more
formal.