Hi Mike,

You are going to find it difficult to find people who want to give
their time to your project, as the cost benefit ratio is very low.  If
people had more time, they would be spending it rescuing the articles
before deletion (on a non-profit wesbsite), rather than preparing them
for rescuing after deletion (on a for-profit website).

By reposting the content somewhere else, you are taking responsibility
for it.  And by hosting it, Wikia is also taking responsibility for
it.

And that responsibility requires you to work with the existing system,
warts and all.  Even good changes to the system will take a long time
to become standard practise.

Before trying to change New Page Patrol, you should try doing New Page
Patrol for a few days.