On 09/02/2014 02:52 AM, Yann Forget wrote:
> OK, I could buy that [fixing image pages]. But then why not
> fixing that *first*, so that
> any MV implementation coming afterwards would be smooth?

In the best of worlds, that would have been ideal.

Now, no doubt I'm going to be branded a cynic for this, but have you
ever /tried/ to standardize something on a project?  Obviously, my frame
of reference is the English Wikipedia and not Commons; but in a world
where there exists at least six distinct templates whose primary
function is to transclude a single "<references/>" onto a page and where
any attempt to standardize to one of them unfailingly results in edit
wars, that doesn't seem like a plausible scenario.

Perhaps the problem is more fundamental than this, and we're only seeing
symptoms. I don't know.

But I /do/ know that waiting until every edge case is handled before
deploying (attempted) improvements to the site is doomed to failure.  If
only because most of the edge case won't even be /findable/ until the
software is in place so that it can't work even in principle.

IMO, in practice, "get it working for the general case and most of the
obvious edge cases" is a reasonable standard; and I'm pretty sure that
MV qualified under that metric (and VE didn't).

I suppose much of my frustration over the MV keruffle is borne out of a
reaction I see much too often for my taste: editors yelling "OMG, look,
image X isn't properly attributed/licensed/etc in MV!  Burn it with
fire!!!" rather than figuring out why X's image page isn't properly
parsed and /fixing/ it (and possibly an underlying template that could
fix dozen/hundred others in one fell swoop).I'm pretty sure that if half
as much effort had been spent fixing issues as was attempting to kill
MV, its fail rate would already be at "statistical anomaly" levels.

.. but my inner cynic is also pretty sure that many of the loudest
voices wanting to get rid of MV ostensibly because of its failings don't
actually /want/ those failings to be fixed because being able to say
"It's broken" rather than "I don't like it" sounds much more rational.

-- Marc