That's the issue I cited above. You haven't heard more complaints, because
the complaint was pointless the first time and took a massive effort to
produce.

The underlying issue isn't fixed. We're still drowning in crap and spam
from people who never have the slightest intent of editing helpfully, and
those who are newbies who genuinely want to help but need guidance get
caught in the crossfire aimed at the vandals and spammers. It is relatively
rare that when a genuinely new editor's first edit is a creation, it is the
creation of an appropriate article on a workable subject, and that's
normally more by dumb luck than them having actual knowledge that they
should do it.

So, consider that a complaint. The proposed fix didn't work, and most
people at the time didn't figure it would work, but it was clearly the best
we were going to get.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Philippe Beaudette <pbeaude...@wikimedia.org