> 1) This gives you the data that is in the item, but what does it give you
> when there is no data in the item?

Ideally, all of the data would be in the wikidata item, and if there's no data
then there's nothing to display. ;-) But in practice, you can pass parameter
information to the template in the usual way, which will then be shown in the
infobox regardless of whether there is information on wikidata about that
parameter or not. This infobox template is still in use in other articles in
the usual fashion, and it only reverts to wikidata information for empty
parameters.

> 2) I am missing a discrete [edit] somewhere indicating where I go to add
> the data for the fields that are missing from the template

This could probably be handled by an [edit] link in the infobox that points
users towards wikidata. However, there's currently no way to show blank fields
on wikidata for empty entries that are used in the template, you have to know
the right property number or name in order to add it.

This is definitely something that needs more technical development, but that
doesn't stop it from being cool. ;-)

Thanks,
Mike