I don't think there is anything to fear at all and I am also not sad to see
the encyclopedias go the way of LP's. Goodbye and good riddance. I have
always been addicted to reading and get annoyed in the bus when it moves
too fast for me to read something I see outside somewhere. As a child I
always read the encyclopedia entries before and after the one I was looking
up. Big time-waster. Today I am a huge fan of CTL-F (or Apple-F for you
apple-eaters). In this film they look up the entry on reading which
apparently has many meanings. When I look it up in the 1911 encyclopedia
today I only see one entry (for a place, not the activity). On the English
Wikipedia, this is a rather long disambiguation page today. The information
found there is not something that big media and publishing companies put
there - it is the result of lots of humble wikipedian-worker-bees over the
course of several years. Off the top of my head just glancing at the list I
feel certain it is far from complete (where's poetry reading?). Wikipedia
is here to stay, long live Wikipedia!

http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/RAY_RHU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading