Hi Renata:

Please don't despair.  When I was "growing up" (I'm pushing 69) there were
definitely encyclopedias but they surely were not the *only research tools*.
Information was available, you just had to really dig for it - go to the
library, comb through the card catalogue, go into the stacks, find the
books, gather the information you needed, write it out by hand on paper
(there were no copiers), and note the source for the information on the set
of 3 x 5 index cards that you collected for the research project; or have
the research librarian retrieve the newspapers, or periodicals, or white
papers or mirco film and repeat what you did with the books; write it out
by hand on paper (again, no copiers), and note the source for the
information on the set of 3 x 5 index cards that you collected for the
research project.

Then you took all the information home, hand wrote the paper and once you
were happy with it, you typed it out on a manual typewriter, making sure
that you spaced it so that there would be enough room at the bottom for the
footnotes for each particular page.

If you had to make more than one copy, you put carbon paper in between the
sheets of paper and if you made a mistake, you carefully corrected every
page, making sure not to smudge the carbon or allow the papers and the
carbon to shift out of alignment.

If you needed more than 4 copies you typed the paper on a mimeograph
stencil.  If you made a mistake on the stencil, you used a mat knife and
carefully scraped the error off the back of the top sheet, cut a corner off
the stencil at the bottom and inserted that in the space between the top
sheet and the stencil back and typed the letter(s) again, making sure that
you did not accidentally let the top sheet or the stencil slip in the
typewriter roller, because if you did all of your alignment would be off
for the rest of the paper. There was a fluid to correct errors, but it
never worked very well. When the paper was done, you put the stencil on a
mimeograph machine and cranked it by hand until the stencil impression was
no longer deep enough to make copies.  If you needed more copies, you had
to cut another stencil by re-typing the entire paper.

I know this probably sounds like "I had to hike 20 miles to school with
snow up to my waist" - which I didn't -  but I offer it only to say that we
humans are a pretty persistent and creative bunch and when determined
enough we can make things work.  Sometimes, having to really dig for
something makes it all that much more precious.

Take care, Amy

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Renata St <renataw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> So I saw this YouTube video yesterday about kids reacting to printed
> encyclopedia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7aJ3xaDMuM&noredirect=1
>
> It made me sad. And very fearful of the future of Wikipedia.
>
> These kids do not appreciate knowledge and information because they grew up
> with its abundance. When I was growing up (and I am only 30), printed
> encyclopedia was the only research tool. These kids will never know the
> frustration when you tried looking something up in those dusty volumes only
> to find minimal information ("stub") or, worse yet, nothing on the topic.
> And the nagging feeling it left you with because your curiosity was not
> satisfied and you thirsted for more, but there was nothing else! And so
> when Wikipedia came around it was this wondrous thing where information was
> seemingly limitless and endless. And it was expanding at dizzying speeds.
> And you could add more! It was the answer to my childhood fantasy of having
> the limitless encyclopedia that answered every questions. And it filed my
> heart with joy and satisfaction not unlike the joy of a child in candy
> story (yes, I am a geek).
>
> Those kids never deprived of knowledge and information will never know how
> precious it is. They will not have the same love that is required to edit
> Wikipedia and write quality articles. And it makes me sad.
>
> Renata

*Amy Vossbrinck*
*Executive Assistant to the*
*Chief of Finance and Administration, Garfield Byrd*
*Wikimedia Foundation*
*149 New Montgomery Street*
*San Francisco, CA 94105*
*415.839.6885  ext 6628*