Im not sure now is the right time to divide affiliates. Thematic organizations
and user groups are still new and there is still a heavy preference towards
chapters. User groups are not necessarily small, and chapters are not
necessarily large.
I hear what you are saying about resources being stretched thin. Wiki Learning
was one of the first to get approved as a user group after years of trying, but
we have not received any mentoring as of yet. Fortunately, we are already
pretty well-organized and receive support from the Tec de Monterrey.
Im worried that separating affiliates would marginalize groups that just now
got some kind of recognition and voice.