The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) has been preparing for the increased
momentum since the user group model was implemented, and it follows a pattern
that we’ve been seeing over the past couple of years. In 2013, we approved 10
user groups, last year we approved 19, and so far this year we have approved
around 20. That number will likely increase next year. This growing momentum is
why we have continued to tweak the approval process to be faster and able to
handle the growing momentum. So, from our perspective, this is something we
have been preparing for from the start, and not a surprise.

Personally, I think further complicating affiliate classifications is a bad
idea. “Small” and “larger” are very culturally relative, varies across the
models (there are user groups “larger” than chapters), changes over time, and
implies that “large” affiliates do work “small” affiliates cannot, when we
continue to see that is in fact not the case at all. The current criteria for
WMCON is active and inactive, which seems far more appropriate. Additionally,
dividing them will not save much money, if any, as there would still presumably
be a gathering for the “small” affiliates.

I agree with Leigh and others that affiliates should receive more support, but
I do not think those efforts will be served well by further dividing them.

-greg (User:Varnent)
Vice Chair, Wikimedia Affiliations Committee