Having a shop that is run with low overhead by someone who specializes in
handling inventory and shipping, is a very good idea.  I've had to do this
both in-house and externally at a few organizations and when your shipping
volume is as low as the WM Shop's currently is, it doesn't make sense to do
it yourself.  Economies of scale are tremendous until you reach the stage
of having a large storage unit and are shipping thousands of items a day.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> IIRC, there were several affiliates that were previously running a
> store, and naturally supporting the most relevant languages of their
> community.  They were effectively shutdown, and localisation lost due
> to centralisation to the WMF.

Is this true?  Please record any actual examples on:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_trademarks

> The trademark policy provides a sound basis for this type of use of the
> trademarks, and could allow
> affiliates to re-open their own shops.

Yes.  As far as I know, any affiliate that wants to run its own shop (for
instance, including localized swag if they know inexpensive local
manufacturers & want to set up in-country shipping to avoid international
shipping fees) should be able to do so with minimal red tape.

SJ