On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Sam Klein <sjkl...@hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
>..
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> IIRC, there were several affiliates that were previously running a
>> store, and naturally supporting the most relevant languages of their
>> community.  They were effectively shutdown, and localisation lost due
>> to centralisation to the WMF.
>

> Is this true?  Please record any actual examples on:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_trademarks

I dont have any actual examples, only possibly faulty memories of
events that mostly affected other affiliates.

As I recall, and apologies in advance for my memories fading or being
faulty, the French, Italian and German chapters were running what
could be considered a store before the WMF's "Chapters Agreement"
and/or "Fundraising Agreements" of 2009/2010 were required to be
signed by chapters , and the language of those agreements removed the
possibility of merchandise.

Again as I recall, many chapters tried to negotiate amendments to that
prohibition, and I vaguely recall the French chapter being successful,
and I vaguely recall the Italian chapter being unsuccessful.

I see the French chapter's shop is still open.

http://wikimediashop.spreadshirt.net/

I do not see a shop for Italia or Deutschland, but locals may be able
to find what I can not.

Any details regarding the old chapters stores, especially German and
Italian, would be most welcomed to augment and possibly correct my
vague recollections.

Sj, 99% of this happened during your time on the board, so it would be
great if you can help provide some clarity with whatever memories you
have.

--
John Vandenberg