As a follow-up to my posting yesterday, I have received a response from WMF
staff at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/2016-2017 which states
"We know that a common challenge for strategy and vision development work
is that people everywhere have a tendency to frame their thinking through
their current circumstances. We are open to ideas on how to challenge that
tendency so we can expand the scope of creative ideas we receive - it will
be essential to both developing ideas that will move us forward, and being
receptive to more the challenging ones."  In the absence of any other
designated venue for those ideas and challenges, I suggest the talk page I
refer to for members of the community to discuss lessons learned from
previous consultations and discussions, and to propose ideas for how the
community-wide consultation should be structured.

"Rogol"