"The Whopper, also known as America’s favorite burger, " is a problem as it implies that the Whopper is the favorite burger of the American public. Perhaps it is, but that is a trademark, not the result of a survey. The other stuff, "a flame-[[grilling|grilled]] patty made with 100% beef with no preservatives, no fillers and is topped with daily sliced tomatoes and onions, fresh lettuce, pickles, ketchup and mayo, served on a soft sesame seed bun." happens to be factually true and cannot be said of the products of, say, McDonalds where the "fixings" arrive in delivery trucks.

Fred Bauder

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 08:06:50 +0200
 "Peter Southwood" <peter.southw...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
James, Which parts of those statements to you consider factually inaccurate, and which parts do you consider misleading in some other way? Cheers, Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of James Heilman
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 5:32 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [arbcom-l] Where is WMF with pursuing companies that offer paid editing services

Wikipedia is not for sale. We are not simply another advertising venue available to the corporations of the world. We have mechanisms for corporations to suggest changes to our content and it is called the talk page.

Lets look at the changes likely made by Burger King staff in more detail:

In this edit this sentence "The Whopper is a burger, consisting of a flame-grilled patty made with 100% beef with no preservatives, no fillers and is topped with daily sliced tomatoes and onions, fresh lettuce, pickles, ketchup and mayo, served on a soft sesame seed bun."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Whopper&type=revision&diff=773836335&oldid=773833110>
was
added not once but twice. And than was added again following its first removal.

In this edit this sentence "The Whopper, also known as America’s favorite burger, has a flame-[[grilling|grilled]] patty made with 100% beef with no preservatives, no fillers and is topped with daily sliced tomatoes and onions, fresh lettuce, pickles, ketchup and mayo, served on a soft sesame seed bun. Whopper and America’s Favorite Burger are trademarks of Burger King Corporation.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Whopper&diff=773807497&oldid=773585358>"
was added.

One of the accounts did not disclosed their relationship to the company in question. And yes this is spam, so they did spam Wikipedia. See [[WP:PEACOCK]] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Words_to_watch#Puffery> and [[WP:NPOV]] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Five_pillars>, the latter of which is pillar number 2.

This is not the first time the marketing department at a multi billion dollar company has tried to adjust our content for the company's / shareholder's gains. A few years back a couple of the heads of marketing at Medtronic <https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/08/wikipedia-editors-for-pay/393926/>, along with a number of physicians one of whom they had paid more than a quarter of a million dollars, tried to remove the best available evidence regarding vertebroplasty, a procedure which medicare spent at the time more than a billion dollars a year on. Half a dozen paid editors working together can easily get a majority in many of our decision making processes.

Our readers deserve a Wikipedia which is written independently of the subject mater in question. Our readers have been harmed by undisclosed paid editing in the past. These are individuals typically less savvy and less wealthy than the executives at a large corporation. I am sorry but our readers are the ones that deserve our attention and our protection. We already have the Wifione case <http://www.newsweek.com/2015/04/03/manipulating-wikipedia-promote-bogus-business-school-316133.html> were Wikipedia was used to promote an unethical Indian university and therefore we played a role in misleading the students who applied. We must do better.

James

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Gnangarra <gnanga...@gmail.com> wrote:

but they didnt spam, nor did they introduce any false hoods, or remove controversial content, they just put a description of the Whopper for the opening sentence. As Andy said rather than biting and creating arguments amongst ourselves would it not be better to have used the opportunity to benefit the community in a positive way.

--
GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

James Heilman