From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
James Heilman
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 5:32 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [arbcom-l] Where is WMF with pursuing companies that
offer paid editing services

Wikipedia is not for sale. We are not simply another advertising venue
available to the corporations of the world. We have mechanisms for corporations
to suggest changes to our content and it is called the talk page.

Lets look at the changes likely made by Burger King staff in more detail:

In this edit this sentence "The Whopper is a burger, consisting of a
flame-grilled patty made with 100% beef with no preservatives, no fillers and
is topped with daily sliced tomatoes and onions, fresh lettuce, pickles,
ketchup and mayo, served on a soft sesame seed bun."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Whopper&type=revision&diff=773836335&oldid=773833110>
was
added not once but twice. And than was added again following its first removal.

In this edit this sentence "The Whopper, also known as America’s favorite
burger, has a flame-[[grilling|grilled]] patty made with 100% beef with no
preservatives, no fillers and is topped with daily sliced tomatoes and onions,
fresh lettuce, pickles, ketchup and mayo, served on a soft sesame seed bun.
Whopper and America’s Favorite Burger are trademarks of Burger King Corporation.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Whopper&diff=773807497&oldid=773585358>"
was added.

One of the accounts did not disclosed their relationship to the company in
question. And yes this is spam, so they did spam Wikipedia. See [[WP:PEACOCK]]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Words_to_watch#Puffery>
and [[WP:NPOV]] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Five_pillars>, the
latter of which is pillar number 2.

This is not the first time the marketing department at a multi billion dollar
company has tried to adjust our content for the company's / shareholder's
gains. A few years back a couple of the heads of marketing at Medtronic
<https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/08/wikipedia-editors-for-pay/393926/>,
along with a number of physicians one of whom they had paid more than a quarter
of a million dollars, tried to remove the best available evidence regarding
vertebroplasty, a procedure which medicare spent at the time more than a
billion dollars a year on. Half a dozen paid editors working together can
easily get a majority in many of our decision making processes.

Our readers deserve a Wikipedia which is written independently of the subject
mater in question. Our readers have been harmed by undisclosed paid editing in
the past. These are individuals typically less savvy and less wealthy than the
executives at a large corporation. I am sorry but our readers are the ones that
deserve our attention and our protection. We already have the Wifione case
<http://www.newsweek.com/2015/04/03/manipulating-wikipedia-promote-bogus-business-school-316133.html>
were Wikipedia was used to promote an unethical Indian university and therefore
we played a role in misleading the students who applied. We must do better.

James

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Gnangarra <gnanga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> but they didnt spam, nor did they introduce any false hoods, or remove
> controversial content, they just put a description of the Whopper for
> the opening sentence.  As Andy said rather than biting and creating
> arguments amongst ourselves would it not be better to have used the
> opportunity to benefit the community in a positive way.
>
> On 14 April 2017 at 18:44, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 14 April 2017 at 11:38, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > > A far better (and less WP:BITEy) outcome would be to get then to
> >

> > Pretty sure WP:BITE doesn't apply in the case of deliberate abuse
> > for clear purposes of spamming.
> >

> > - d.

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia