The following views are mine. I'm not affiliated with either the Foundation
or those speaking in the name of the communities. This is a volunteer's
opinion.

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 04:24, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Leila and Todd, thanks for the constructive comments.
>
> I think that global consensus is possible, but it's challenging.

To measure the needs of the movement, the organizers of the consultation
have to take into consideration all the editors - present and future -, the
affiliates, and even the readers. Thousands of regulars, hundreds of
thousands of casuals, not counting the millions of readers, who contribute
with their donations.

The participation of this many people in the consultations would not be
feasible. The most that can be expected is a few hundred editors, who voice
their opinions, mostly representing the English Wikipedia and Commons. I
believe this is what Leila meant. Any of the consensus models can only
reflect a local consensus
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Consensus#Levels_of_consensus> at
best.
Deciding the movement's future based upon this comparatively small
selection of contributors would result in a one-sided outcome.

The needs of the movement, however, can be measured globally by systematic
research and this is what the Foundation has been doing in recent years and
now serves as the basis for the recommendations. My personal experience and
impressions confirm many of these findings: The movement needs to move
forward, to keep up with the times. The start of a new decade is the best
time to take that big step.

With these fundamental changes, there will be many differing views and
visions. Regardless whether those differences are big or small, at this
scale, this many participants could only agree to disagree.
A simple vote-counting would not be able to establish any kind of consensus
besides vetoes, what would only undermine and disrupt the consultation.
Wikipedia is not a vote for a good reason.
On the other hand, the true model of consensus, which evaluates the merits
of the comments is simply unmanageable above a few dozen participants.
Neither of these models could achieve consensus or equally consider every
community and contributor.

The purpose of the consultations is not to struggle seeking global
consensus with many differing views, but to gather constructive feedback
from the communities.
It is clear that the Foundation and the Working Groups are asking for
meritable comments, which they can incorporate in their proposals.

I remain concerned about the current timeline for this strategy process. I
> think that after initial community discussions, a phased approach over a
> period of years for !votes and implementation might be best.

Continuous consultations about individual projects and specific
implementations would be of great benefit to bridging the gap between the
Foundation and the communities.
However, only experience will prove the changes beneficial, procrastinating
the decision would be just a waste of time and opportunity.
It seems to be an easy way out to run votes endlessly, without doing the
hard work to achieve the movement's targets, but it leads nowhere, just
creates disruption.

That's not why we are here. Although I can't vouch for all, I believe we
are here to improve the projects we work on and to collaboratively create
the world's biggest encyclopedia and knowledge platform, which shows an
example of what's possible, that makes us proud.

Perhaps an early phase could focus on reviewing our current mechanisms for
> all-Wikiverse governance and considering some changes to those mechanisms.

The governance processes haven't seen a significant update since the
initial influx of editors, but these processes and the technical tools did
not scale with the sudden increase in editor count. A significant technical
debt <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt> has been carried along
for more than a decade. These processes need significant updates to address
the abuse (bullying and occasional harassment) of editors, who aren't
protected by the network of supportive editors who have known them for
years.

Addressing this issue is fundamental to improving diversity and editing
experience within the communities. Although the issues faced by Wikipedia
are the same as in any online community, many communities - most notably
open source communities - have progressed significantly in regards of
addressing abuse and conduct issues.

Perhaps the strategy process organizers will have some recommendations for
> us to consider regarding governance.
>
> Pine
> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

Aron