I was having a conversation with a teacher in the field today and they had
some interestinig thoughts about this. I take no credit for the ideas below
but am happy to share them as I essentially agree.

>From a history learning area viewpoint, evaluating/comparing/contrasting
viewpoints and interpretations of history may be a useful aim. Schools often
have unreliable net connections or blocks on sites or domains, and having it
on CD may be useful. However, to quote them, "my personal opinion is that
most teachers and schools would be very wary to accept it and use it - in
fear of being singled out in the media for using low quality sources and
materials - it would just be another version of "encarta"". This teacher's
feedback was interesting as we had been discussing their actual fairly heavy
use of Wikipedia in the course of developing their own lesson plans and
activities, as in the topics they personally cover, Wikipedia has excellent
coverage and reliable information, behaving almost as a model of how all of
Wiki should be.

Would there be any merit in going through the History learning area from the
NSW curriculum, which seems to have the most solid coverage of it, along
both Ancient and Modern streams and see if we can do something that would be
of use to them specifically? Once the NSW curriculum is covered (we may not
cover all of it, we may be quite selective initially), then go to Victoria
and WA, which have different curriculums and different priorities, but at
the same time a lot of overlap. You then have something that works for the
great majority of Australia, is specific to one area, focused, and would be
a mix of Wikipedia GFDL content and our own linkages to curricula and
possibly some resources and the like? There is an association for history
teachers in New South Wales and they're covered by an association here in
WA, if we got it to an "early pilot" level I'm sure we could obtain their
assistance. Narrowing the scope like this would ensure we got an
identifiable product that we could market to an identifiable group and have
very clear goals about where we're at.

What say others?

cheers
Andrew