On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 07:25:35AM +1000, Craig Franklin wrote:
> Delphine,
>
> Thanks for the background.  From my understanding, one of the major factors
> that sunk the Brisbane '09 bid was a lack of chapter support.  I don't want
> to sound overly negative, but it would be very disappointing if a lot of
> people went to the effort of putting a bid together only to fail for the
> same reasons that Brisbane failed.

Another reason why Brisbane was not successful could well be the point
that Delphine made in another post, that the city must have an
international airport with flights from everywhere. Getting to Australia
is expensive and to minimise the cost, the only possible cities are, as
delphine says, Sydney or Melbourne.

On the matter of chapter support, I have no doubt that the chapter will
support a bid at some point and I do not think we should go ahead unless
the chapter does support it. That however is for the future. I have some
sympathy for Steve's view that this, 2 days from the AGM, is not the time to
be discussing this. The new committee will have other things on its
plate when it takes over.

Cheers, Brian

> Cheers,
> Craig

         Brian Salter-Duke       treasu...@wikimedia.org.au
       Treasurer and Public Officer, Wikimedia Australia Inc.
   Active on English Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki, Wikiversity, and others.
[[User:Bduke]] is single user account with en:Wikipedia main account.